October 16, 2014|Products
Materials Needed to Install Vinyl Wall Base
- Enough linear feet of vinyl wall base, for your project. factor in around 5-10% scrap.
- Utility knife
- Wall base adhesive
1 x 30 oz. cartridge is good for 60 linear feet of base
1 x Quart of base adhesive is good for 60 linear feet of base
1 x Gallon of base adhesive is good for 240 linear feet of base
- Application equipment, for applying base adhesive
method A - cartridge gun and snozzle (pictured)
method B - cartridge gun and spreader
method C - spreader with a tub of adhesive (either 1 quart or 1 gallon tub)
- Speed square (optional)
- Cutting surface (any scrap piece of wood)
- Wet rag
Steps to Install Vinyl Wall Base
- Butt the end of the roll up to the wall
- Unroll the the roll of vinyl wall base the length of the wall, in order to estimate the length
- Mark where to make your cut, but give yourself a couple extra inches
- Make a square cut
- You should now have an unrolled length of dry back vinyl wall base that is roughly the length of the wall
- Make sure that the toe of the vinyl wall base is towards the wall with the finished side down, meaning the ribbed side is up.
- For these instructions we will use the adhesive gun and the 30 oz. adhesive cartridge with the snozzle attachment.
- You can accomplish the same application of adhesive with the gun and spreader, or the spreader with a tub of adhesive
- Puncture the adhesive cartridge with needle on the adhesive gun
- Insert cartridge into the guy and apply the snozzle
- Begin pulling the trigger of the adhesive gun to push adhesive through the snozzle
- Once adhesive is coming through the snozzle, we are ready to apply the adhesive to the vinyl wall base with a smooth consistent pressure pull the gun trigger to apply adhesive on the vinyl wall base.
- Slowly and steadily work your way down the length of the wall
- Finish that down the entire length of the vinyl wall base
- We should now have a piece of base that has adhesive, side up, the entire length of the wall
- Go back to the starting edge and begin to press the adhesive side of the base to the wall. Press firmly.
- Press firmly down the entire length of the base
- Clean up and wipe down the excess adhesive with a wet rag
- Run the wet rag down the entire length of the base
- There should be some excess base at the second end of the wall. Using your speed square, cut of the excess
- Congrats! you should now have an entire wall length of vinyl wall base installed.
- Now, the hard part, finish an inside corner. Cut a length of base the correct size, leaving some scrap, like you did earlier in the instructions.
- On the side that will make an inside corner, use your speed square to cut the toe of the base at a 45 degree angle
- Cut with utility knife
- Apply adhesive
- Butt the side of base with the 45 taken out of it, against the wall
- Press the adhesive side of the base firmly against the wall
- Cut off excess and wipe down with the wet rag
Congrats! you are done with an inside corner
Outside Corner Instructions, coming soon!
- © 2016 Wallprotex
- All Rights Reserved
- Wall Protection Designed & Manufactured in the USA Since 1997