Paintable Corner Guards
- Product Details
Paintable corner guards offer the perfect customizing solution to match painted interiors and create a cohesive look. The paintable corner guard has an orange peel texture designed specifically for optimal paint adhesion, while also providing first-rate protection for wall corners.
Corner guards come standard with self-stick tape.
Available in textured white.
Note: Wallprotex advises using a water-based paint for the best results. High gloss paint is also recommended as it prevents scuffs and scratches on the surface of the guard.
Wallprotex paintable corner guards are surface treated and have the highest ASTM rating for paint adhesion.
The paintable corner guards are produced from top UL fire-rated material. Vinyl is a popular choice for interiors and construction projects due to the material’s chemical and mold resistance, and the ease of cleaning.
Note on Freshly Painted Surfaces
When installing WX12 corner guards with double sided tape over freshly painted surfaces be sure to follow all of the paint manufactures requirements on drying and curing time as it relates to the environment of the building. Some paints may take up to 2 weeks to fully cure. Applying a double sided tape corner guard over paint that has not fully cured can cause damage to the paint and wall finish should you decide to remove the corner guard at any point.
The paintable vinyl corner guards come pre-taped from the manufacturer with a 1/32” foam double sided tape with a permanent rubber-based adhesive.
- Wall surfaces must be clean, dry, and free from dust and grease. Wipe the wall surface with a solvent to assure all grease, dust and dirt are removed. Make sure that the cleaning solvent used will not damage the finish on the wall surface.
- If required, cut corner guard to required length, ensuring that all cuts are square and burr free.
- Peel off backing tape from one wing entirely, then peel back the tape partially on the second wing. Place wing with the fully exposed tape to the wall, then remove the remainder of the tape backing from the second wing. Press firmly along the entire length of the corner protector to ensure a good bond.
- Clean the corner guard after installation to remove any dirt or dust using soap and water, then dry the corner guard.
Note: Do not apply paint while the corner guard is wet.
- Prep the area around the corner guard making sure the area is clean and any surrounding area’s that you do not want painted are covered or taped off.
- Using a water based paint, preferably with a high gloss finish (the high gloss finish will prevent scuffs and scratches from every day wear from showing too much), using a stiff nylon paint brush paint the corner guard the desired color.
- If cleaning is required before painting use a liquid cleaner such as 409®, fantastik®, or Mr. Clean®.
- Once the corner guard has been painted please reference the paint manufactures cleaning instructions and guidelines.
What is the texture of the paintable corner guard?
The paintable corner guard has an orange peel texture designed specifically for optimal paint adhesion.
What is the difference between the paintable and vinyl materials?
The main differences between the two are texture and surface finish. The paintable material has an orange peel texture and is given a surface finish that promotes paint adhesion. The vinyl material has a hair cell texture and is intended to be used as a finish product.
Do I need to prime the paintable corner guards before painting?
Yes, using a good quality primer is always recommended to achieve the best results.
Is there a recommended type of paint to use with the paintable corner guards?
Any water based paint including acrylic or latex is a good choice. While any type of sheen will work, a semi-gloss or high-gloss finish paint can help hide scuffs and scratches. Check with your local paint supplier for recommendations.
Can I paint corner guards other than the paintable corner guard line?
Sure! If you need to paint a corner guard that isn't from our WX12 Paintable series, there are a few steps we would recommend to ensure good paint adhesion.
- Sand or scuff the surface of the corner guard using 120 grit sandpaper or a scouring pad.
- Prime the corner guard with a plastics primer.
Use multiple light coats of paint to avoid drips and uneven paint texture.
Do we have a MSDS sheet on the paintable corner guards?
- © 2019 Wallprotex
- All Rights Reserved
- Wall Protection Designed & Manufactured in the USA Since 1997